Have questions? We have answers.
Here are the most frequently asked questions about FamilyTreeDNA. If you have additional questions, feel free to visit our Learning Center or reach out to our Customer Service team.
Our family tree builder is easy to use. Just follow these simple steps:
- Select a template. Treemily provides a wide choice of designer-made templates so that you could choose something to your taste. We regularly add new templates to our collection so that you could create modern and fresh versions of the traditional family tree.
- Complete your family members’ profiles. Add genealogical data to every profile of your family members. By adding information about birth and death, marriage, occupation, and place of residence you make your tree interesting to explore. Remember to upload photos, without them your story will be incomplete.
- Customize the template. Play with different colors, shapes, and styles. Add textured backgrounds, change colors to match your images, and frame your photos in unique ways.
- Choose canvas size. We provide a wide choice of frames and canvases. Choose the size of your canvas. We can print any size you want.
- Save and order. Once your family tree is done, we will print it and ship within 72 hours after your order is placed. Our delivery partners will bring your parcel right to your doorstep.
Sure. Once you’ve created your family tree and you may select a high-resolution download as one of the options, along with a wide variety of prints and canvases.
The Family Tree page looks empty for the first time, you have to create your own Family Tree. There are two options on how to do this:
- import a Family Tree from a GEDCOM file;
- create a new Family Tree from a scratch.
Click the necessary button in order to proceed this way. Select the GEDCOM file and click on ‘import’ button. After this importing process will start.
Once the system finishes the import you`ll be notified. In order to go further by the import process, you would have to click ‘finish configuration’ button and select your family tree`s root person – a person your family tree will be based on.
You may search for a necessary person by using the search bar. After the right person found and selected, press one of the desired options below.
Click the necessary button in order to proceed this way. First, you have to do while creating the family tree from a scratch, is to define who will be the root (home) person in your tree. Usually, this is you.
By pressing ‘next’ button you`ll be proposed to add your parents and grandparents, though you may skip these steps.
Click ‘to the tree’ button and you`ll be directed to your new Family Tree editor.
The editor contains several main areas:
- Your Family Tree, where you see the tree members and their summary like name, surname, dob, dod, residence, etc.
- Quick Edit Panel, where you may see more extended info about a tree member and where you can do the actions related to this tree member & use different menu with family tree management features.
All family trees have a root person (home person) from whom all the genealogy starts & counts. In the Treemily system root person is always allocated on generation #1.
All the ancestors will appear above the root person, on the 2A, 3A…generations.
All the descendants will appear below the root person, on the 2B, 3B …. nB generations. Click on the ‘+’ sign below a tree member’s card in order to add a relative. Each relative type has a standard set of fields to fill in and some which are dedicated to a particular relationship type.
- By adding a partner you`ll be proposed to set a relationship status between two family tree members.
- By adding a child you`ll be proposed to define another parent, his relation to this child, and so on.
Once a new relative is added, it will be reflected on the screen immediately.
In case you click ‘edit’ you`ll be taken to the tree member profile, where you can add/change different profile info about this person.
As soon as the family tree gets larger, you may need to quickly find the home person out. Use the navigation bar at the top right corner and its ‘house’ icon. Here you also can zoom in/out and scroll your family in four directions.
- All basic data related to a particular person displays here.
- Among general profile info like person`s picture, name, surname, dob, dod, amount of children there is ‘media’ & ‘facts’ blocks.
- Media is used for adding images related to this person or any image you want to be associated with a particular tree member. Also, all the images where this person was tagged using the Library`s tagging feature are displayed here automatically.
- Facts reflect persons major lifetime events ordered by event year. Once an event has been created, either by editing user quick/full profile or directly from this panel, it will be automatically reflected under ‘facts’.
Go to the quick edit panel → tree member mini-profile. To add a fact or a photo using this panel just click on a ‘+’ sign and follow your instincts.
Go to the quick edit panel → tree member mini-profile. This action has three options: ‘incorrect record’ deletes tree member from the family tree and Treemily database; ‘don’t want this person on my family tree’ & ‘other’ will delete only from your family tree, but not from the Treemily database.
Go to the quick edit panel → data display option. There you will find :
- tree member`s card display options;
- block scheme display options.
Go to the quick edit panel → Family tree index. This menu lists all your family tree members, even those who might be not displayed due to their slight relation to the root person. Type a part of the name or surname and Treemily will sort out matching results immediately. You also may use alphabetic order in order to filter out by a letter. By clicking on a tree member from a list Treemily will automatically switch your view to his card.
Go to the quick edit → lineage search. In order to create the lineage, just search for a person you want to build the lineage with.
Go to the quick edit panel → duplicates search. The search starts automatically once you open the menu and gives you results once they`re found. You`ll be getting more results when scrolling the search results, in case they are available.
After the duplicate pair is found and straight before merging you`ll select which tree member should be set as a primary one.
Once merge is done, Treemily will reorder tree members and place duplicates for the secondary tree member positions in case a need.
Please, double check the tree members you`re merging before the merge. In order to get back to the prior to merging state of your family tree use Changes history menu.